Welcome to Sketchlab

Join now to maintain, follow, like and comment on sketchbooks online
Register Now

Szj's Sketchbook

Discussion in 'Sketchbooks' started by sweetzombiejesus, Aug 20, 2017.

1. .

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Mugchu, Raedrob, Vhalesa and 5 others like this.
  2. Karidyas

Karidyas New Member

That is nutty, you can definitely see the results in that page of full figures you did towards the end there. And these were over 6ish months? very impressive :0

sweetzombiejesus likes this.
  3. Styxcolor

Styxcolor Member

Love this sketchbook. I'm just beginning to do studies like these for me. It's impressive what you have achieved.

4. arodude

arodude New Member

This is some incredible stuff! Very inspiring and motivating.

5. Vannn

Vannn Member

The animated study was a great idea, I'll have to try it for myself.

6. Andrea

Andrea Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to sketchlab !
    Amazing studies, keep them coming !
    what sources are you studying from ?

Edited your sketchbooks name btw, forum rules.

7. Inimicvs Voster

Inimicvs Voster New Member

I think they're very well done studies done after Michael Hampton's anatomy course

8. MikeWest

MikeWest Member

Good stuff, great to see another fan of the cranial index measuring system!

A couple things that stood out to me:

Teres minor does not originate that far in on the dorsal surface of the scapula. Minor thing since you're rarely going to depict it separate from the rotator cuff group.

Pectoralis major does not insert that far below the bicipital groove ("humerus groove" is nondescript and will not help you memorize why it's there):

TempImage.jpg TempImage.jpg

9. Inimicvs Voster

I like this a lot. The procedure and methods are something I'm pinning after. Could you recommend some resources beyond Hampton? I am specifically interested in how you developed your digital technique (i.e. the shading most of all). They are all well lit (to my eyes) and I couldn't find decent sources on how to do that.

10. Andrea

Andrea Administrator Staff Member

@sweetzombiejesus no worries !
    I have the hampton course laying somewhere I may start on that next, I only used his book so far.
    people in the chat are talking about your dedication :D

11. AEBL

AEBL Active Member

As a Medical Transcriptionist, this is a sketchbook I can really appreciate. Bravo!

12. MikeWest

MikeWest Member

Lovely!

13. Inimicvs Voster

That link is very useful, thank you. Otherwise, great as always.

14. Vannn

Vannn Member

How far do you like to push cartooning and caricature? I really enjoy the dynamism of the the sketches, then you lose something in the rendering. It feels, duller afterward.

15. Enydimon

Enydimon Member

My friend it is good to see you! I was bummed out when I realized you had wiped another sketchbook thread. I think I understand, though. I've had personal shit come up and done similar things.

You're still kicking ass with those anatomy studies, it really makes me feel like I'm not doing enough and I'm still envious of your smooth transitions. Only thing I can pick out right now is that when you're drawing the serratus from imagination, you draw them a little too vertical.

Keep up the good work.

16. Le Grèbe

Le Grèbe New Member

Impressive, to say the least. I will definitively keep an eye on your work when I'll go back to study anatomy. It seems extremely clear at first glance.

I was wondering whether you had any thought on your rendering process? More particularly, I noticed your drawings seem to become a bit "still" when compared to the original sketchs you did that have a great dynamism. I migh be totally off base, especially since they aren't incorporated in a background but more popping out of the blue. However, given that it is quite a common problem, I'd love to hear your thought on that.

Otherwise, I'm drooling in front of your otter.

17. Whirly

Whirly New Member

Wish I could offer you some crits but you seem to be doing everything right, the anatomy study is deep and you seem to be consistently applying everything! Really great work.

I would say don't forget to put everything aside and grab a sketchbook and draw some characters with no books or ref or anything, then you can tell what is really going in and what isn't sticking from your extensive studies. You might notice for example the upper torsos are looking great but that shoulder joint keeps giving me trouble or something similar. Then you can focus on that properly rather than just going through everything systematically without any checks.

18. olly

olly Member

Wow, really impressive work and work ethic. Not much else to say, looking forward to seeing more!

19. Menes

Menes New Member

Do you use 3D models to study the bones, or maybe an actual skeleton model? I find it extremely hard to get to your level of detail when it comes to drawing the underlying structures. Glad to see you are posting again btw, missed seing your old sb on permanoobs!

20. AEBL

AEBL Active Member

When you art dump would you mind posting as thumbnails? It can be a fair bit to scroll through.