Welcome to Sketchlab

Join now to maintain, follow, like and comment on sketchbooks online
Register Now

Natalie's Sketchbook

Discussion in 'Sketchbooks' started by Natalie, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Natalie

Natalie New Member

Hello everyone!

I used permanoobs for just a short while but I will always remember it because it opened up my world to concept art and illustration, since algen was the first of his kind I found out about. These last few days I've been mainly doing gesture and anatomical studies. The anatomy studies I have to stick to because they are very dry. I try to take breaks here and there to doodle/sketch something off pinterest, and those kind of mix in to these studies. Usually I end the day with a bit of painting after anatomy has broken my brain. :)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg
    6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    SOFASTRANGLER and FickleFlame like this.
  2. FickleFlame

FickleFlame Member

Welcome to the forum! I look forwards to seeing more :D

3. Styxcolor

Styxcolor Member

Ah, great to see you again, Natalie! Superb sketches, also looking forward to see more of them. Where are you heading at at the moment?

4. Natalie

Natalie New Member

Thanks Fickle and Styx :)

For these studies and sketches I have been trying to focus on the big things first such as the general features of the face, paying attention to those landmarks and seeing if theres is any variety in sizes that I should take into account. Accuracy in proportions of the face is a big problem for me. Sometimes the drawing may not look wrong but it doesn't necessarilly match the proportions of the model in the reference so I am hoping that drilling that big to small idea may help me out.. After that the anatomical landmarks can be placed in.

The paintings are just a study of 1 of craig mullins' since i liked his colors and shapes, and the other was an attempt at painting a wet street after the rain. Didn't get that texture looking right at all.

As for your question Styxcolor, right now I'm just studying alot. I feel like I can't design because my structure and painting aren't there yet.

12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg 11.jpg

Styxcolor likes this.
  5. Andrea

Andrea Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum Natalie ! Nice to have you !
    You are definitely on the right track with those studies, keep sharing :)
    If you do something 1000 times it will all come together, just a matter of time.

6. Natalie

Natalie New Member

Thank you Andrea, that's very uplifting!

Today's stuff are mostly photo studies, trying to learn how to paint better and more head anatomy. I still need to do expressions better but I'm trying to apply what I've learned so far :)
    (The girl holding a lamb is a quick imagination doodle!)
    18.png 19.png 20.png 21.png 22.png 23.png 24.png 25.png 26.png 27.png

AEBL likes this.
  7. Mithmeoi

Mithmeoi New Member

Love your studies! Looking forward to seeing more.

8. AEBL

AEBL Active Member

Fluid. Lovely to get lost in. I would say the facial expressions you're producing are already quite excellent. I'm curious as to what your background is?

9. Andrea

yeah these are just good to look at ! and nice imaginary sketch, I would like see more of these
    I have problem with proportions too, I started filling sketchbooks with humans only

10. Natalie

Natalie New Member

More studies! I want to learn how to paint better but i'm sort of just studying images for now, not really with much guidance. Just trying to understand and think as much about what's going on with the skin while i study. I don't know much about the color wheel or limiting colors and stuff so i just kind of choose what colors i think belong there, but really my colors and values are all over the place. Oh for painting I'm reading alla prima a bit just for the theory of painting... Since I don't really have a mindset for it just yet, I thought it might help. Was reading the part where he talks about slowly inching up to the darkest values and lightest highlights at the end of the piece and not at the beginning. I think it helps, the idea of working up the values/colors. I also have to constantly remind myself to take a second and zoom out and assess the drawing/ painting. And also to take my time and think about all my decisions. Yep. Any crits would be very appreciated :)

28.jpg 29.jpg 30.jpg

11. Andrea

this may help with building the values

Untitled-2.jpg

Natalie likes this.
  12. Natalie

Natalie New Member

Some more stuff :D

31.jpg 32.jpg 33.jpg 34.jpg 35.jpg 36.jpg 37.jpg 38.jpg 39.jpg 40.jpg 41.jpg

13. FickleFlame

FickleFlame Member

Hey! Now that you have a few things down I can throw in a few tips :D

• Try and do one long study for every 5 short ones (long can be anywhere from 3 days to a month). This was said to me when I was starting off in digital.
    • When studying, make sure the darkest dark matches the one from the original (girl in red dress)
    • Same thing with negative shapes (man in shorts)

There's not much to getting better tbh. It's just comes down to practice and you're putting in those hours. Carry on! ^^

14. Natalie

Natalie New Member

Today's imaginary sketch failed because I don't understand storytelling at all. Had a story in mind of a gargoyle rescuing an emotionally broken girl, being like a "guardian angel" archetype. Well I got the gargoyle part wrong obviously. I didn't understand how to portray a benevolent character/ but also a grotesque creature at the same time. Tried to make ends meet by having traits of purity(hence the cherub looking baby) and the gargoyle but it just hasn't worked out.
    42.png 43.jpg 44.jpg 45.jpg 46.jpg 47.png

15. Natalie

Natalie New Member

Updates! Still life value and colors studies of simple primitive, gotta do more of these! Tried to do value studies of portraits and decided to go hard mode by going full opacity painting. Struggling very hard with these, it's probably that I don't understand lighting too well. Drawings are studies of rockwell/ imagination stuff. I realized that painting as little as I did, I have to make sure my drawing has more structure so that i don't have any questions about the figures when i go into painting it.
    48.jpg 49.jpg 50.jpg 51.jpg 52.jpg 53.jpg 54.jpg 55.jpg 56.jpg

varfolomey likes this.
  16. AEBL

AEBL Active Member

It sounds like you have the story, just not the character. The what would help you in this scenario lies in the facial expressions, body language and attire. If they're both calm such a horrifying creature should off as safe. A childlike mouth or more dog life features may help - over the typical dragon shape. Perhaps robes fit for a king. You get the idea.

This is a good course: 电子游戏中的角色设计 | Coursera

17. Andrea

I suggest to take it easy with the values, there is too much information on a photo or master painting that confuses you and Im not sure its helpful at this stage since you are not getting the values right
    go step buy step, get used to simple objects first, or choose sculptures

18. Natalie

Natalie New Member

The struggle is real
    57.jpg 58.jpg 59.jpg 60.jpg 61.jpg 62.jpg 63.jpg 64.jpg 65.png 66.png 67.png 68.png 69.png 70.png

Ubem likes this.
  19. Ubem

Ubem Member

Thanks for the kind comments, and your observation on my lack of perspective and structure is spot on!

You're totally crushing it on instagram, the diversity and personality in your designs are fabulous. The lines, proportions, and colors give off an Even Amundsen and Kim Jung Gi vibe. I think the next stepping stone could be studying proportions and accuracy, for example here are some of Evan's studies I ripped from permanoobs before it went down:
    1.jpg 2 (1).JPG 2.jpg 3 (1).jpg 3 (2).jpg 3.jpg 4 (1).jpg 4.jpg 12-2 copy.jpg 12V01 copy.jpg 13 copy.jpg 13v02 copy.jpg Bird3 copy.jpg Bird5.jpg Ceasar 3.jpg Cloth1copy.jpg Foetter.jpg Fot6.JPG Hest5 copy.jpg Hode.jpg Hode1.JPG Material study 2.jpg Material study 3 copy.jpg Plein Air 1.JPG Plein Air 2.JPG Rustning.jpg Sauroman.jpg 1 (1).JPG
    It seems like he put a lot of effort into accuracy, and then stretched and pulled it as he saw fit in his imaginitive work. Hope this is useful or at least inspiring!

Natalie likes this.
  20. Natalie

Natalie New Member

foxboyo.jpg archer.jpg tea.jpg charsketch.jpg study1.png study2.jpg study3.jpg image (1).jpg image (2).jpg image (4).jpg image (5).jpg image (8).jpg image (9).jpg image (10).jpg image.jpg sketch.jpg I think it's about time i updated my sketchlab lol. I will try to upload weekly! In here are mostly studies, but a few personal works. Most are sketchbook pages because I enjoy paper and ballpoint a lot more than digital. But recently i've begun to do studies in digital as well because I need to learn a thing or two about color and values lol. After doing the fox piece I realized that value and lighting is very important for storytelling, and I also realized that gestures and posing is more important than I previously thought.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Ubem likes this.