Welcome to Sketchlab

Join now to maintain, follow, like and comment on sketchbooks online
Register Now

Happy Campers

Discussion in 'Critique' started by Mono, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Mono

Mono Member

I've been working on this on and off since last year. Tweaking things. Any advice/pointers/critique/paintovers would be greatly appreachiated. o_O
    scenery7.jpg

pableaux, Ubem and AEBL like this.
  2. AEBL

AEBL Active Member

My biggest question is what time of day is it? If you decided on dusk or dawn there would be a lot of room to play with lighting. This could be a way to help stand these two pals out amongst their beautiful surroundings, as I attempted to do in my paint over. High noon happens to be the worst time for photography, and much like new photographers practicing during the golden hours is best. Over all this is an adorable piece, and I really enjoyed spending a good chunk of time wondering what could be done to make it even better. Kudos.

IMG_3632.JPG

Bart, Ubem, Thanatos Iruga and 2 others like this.
  3. Mono

Mono Member

Your paintover gave me insight on how to move ahead with this piece. Thank you. :)
    Going forward I'll spend more time on figuring out the lighting. Currently I don't spend much thought to the time of day.

Thanatos Iruga and AEBL like this.
  4. ilyaev

ilyaev New Member

The characters are nicely rendered but there are some gappy issues around the back. Like, they're quite rushed, I usually create a grid over my painting and zoom in and check each square. Clean up any lines and move on. It helps me take some time when I'm excited to post a piece! Overall I quite like it, there are some gaps and patchy places.

Did you render this in 3D and paint over it, it feels as though you have a bit, the water and boat etc feel very 3D render. Which is fine of course, but doesn't have as much of a natural feeling to it.

5. Mono

Mono Member

Everything's hand-drawn

6. ilyaev

ilyaev New Member

Okay, well I think some more atmosphere and texture, and cleaning up the flatness will help a lot :)