Welcome to Sketchlab

Join now to maintain, follow, like and comment on sketchbooks online
Register Now

Hand Issue

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Mono, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Mono

Mono Member

Lately my drawing hand's been feeling slightly numb so I started stretching it in fear of getting arthritis or something else. When I bend my fingers upward with my other hand sometimes my knuckles make a sort of muted velcro sound. Any ideas what that's about?

2. Go to the doctor. You should really look into drawing techniques that are effective in the way that you get the job done with little strain on your hand. Musicians often have these to play professionally, its all about like energy proficiency and taking care of your limbs. One simple thing for guitarists is to not bend the wrist when you play for example. You should look into the different hand stands as using these can be good tools. Here is a example image.
    [​IMG]

3. Le Grèbe

Le Grèbe New Member

The advices from Sofastrangler are key! Learn technique where you move your shoulder instead of your wrist when drawing, and pay attention to not blocking your tendons.

But most importantly, TAKE BREAK. If it hurts, just stop for a while, go out and take a walk, but don't overdo it.

The risk is that you will hurt yourself for longer if you don't take care of yourself. If you are like me and have trouble taking break, then install some kind of alarm to remind you of taking time off every now and then. I have a software freezing my computer for ten seconds every ten minutes, and ten minutes every hour called Time Out that is pretty efficient. I also noticed that I have "fresher eyes" to paint afterwards and notice mistakes more easily.

Another thing to look out for is your posture. Hands problems can originate from your way of sitting and your general set up. Look out for ergonomy rules on how to position your computer/tablet/sketchbook. Most classic rules are the following:
    [​IMG]

One last thing that can help is to reinforce your back, arms and wrists with some musculary exercises.

Oh, and stretch before, during and after drawing. Otherwise your body gets cranky.

Hope this helps!

SOFASTRANGLER likes this.
  4. Ubem

Ubem Member

I haven't had wrist issues ever since I started doing a couple things differently. The most important thing was keeping my grip as light as possible and turning the tablet sensitivity way up as to not exert effort to get pen pressure. The second thing was keeping my wrist as parallel with my forearm as possible. This might not work for everyone, but hope this helps

Le Grèbe and SOFASTRANGLER like this.