Welcome to Sketchlab

Join now to maintain, follow, like and comment on sketchbooks online
Register Now

Feedback On An Old Problem

Discussion in 'Critique' started by Kai, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Kai

Kai New Member

I feel like there's this weird problem I have with my paintings where the figures seem poorly integrated with the rest of it - and it feels like the more complex the painting is, or the more figures, the more I struggle.

Any other pointers on stuff I'm doing wrong on these two is fantastic. I'm just really trying to re-evaluate the way I approach my tendency to render mindlessly on big, detailed stuff - but typically people only tell me to keep that part the same lol.

finishedroquemedium.jpg ocean.jpg
    Ubem likes this.
  2. Toranja

Toranja New Member

I'd say it looks like an overall problem with lighting specifically.
    The figures don't really look like 3d objects interacting with their environment and lightsources. This is because the lighting on them is inconsistent, and surfaces facing different directions receive apparently equal amounts of light. Also there isn't much consideration for bounced light, which looks more apropriate in the second picture (since the ambient light is very reduced) than in the first one. In the first one for example, the floor is receiving plenty of light and yet the undersurfaces of the character's armours(?) are unusually obscured.
    This could be both due to disregard of the forms that make up the figure (in space) or the difficulty associating it with rendering.
    I would try to make orthographic views of the scene, including lightsources, and subdivide the figure into planes with very clear directions. If that's still complicated, I would suggest focusing on learning more about overall rendering in relation to perspective and form building skills (and recommend the scott robertson books for that.)
    Ubem likes this.
  3. Andrea

Andrea Administrator Staff Member

agreeing with the feedback above, aside that, you seem to render everything individually, not in context of everything else.
    so spend a lot of time with painting details, but almost no time with planning the value composition, what should pop out, where should pop out

on the first picture, I shouldn't be seeing crisp white highlight in a closed room with no windows filled with blue and yellow lights
    why is the blue not hitting the characters, why there is no yellow bounce light from the background, why is the main character lit behind and sideway as well, and if so, why Im not seeing super dark shadows in areas where the light shouldnt reach but seeing them where it should
    there is no warm/cold balance with light to help the composition, you only have warm and aimless blue patch on top which is covering the secondary focal point
    so in general, your light is not consistent, so the best your brain can get out of it is a collage feeling
    to fix it, first paint studies from life to learn how far light can reach and how its bouncing back, second do simple value studies of master works / complicated scenes with good composition

Ubem likes this.
  4. Kai

Kai New Member

So many things to think about, thank you both of you so much for taking the time to write all that out (and paintover). I'm going to refer back to these posts over time and try to see how I can keep these things in mind going forward, and work on some exercises to try to implement that advice better.

I wasn't really sure I'd get much feedback at all so it's a lovely early Christmas gift.