Welcome to Sketchlab

Join now to maintain, follow, like and comment on sketchbooks online
Register Now

Elderscroller´s Scrolls of Sketches

Discussion in 'Sketchbooks' started by Elderscroller, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Nott the goblin girl and Caleb from Critical Role. As I started to listen to the second campaign while painting, I wanted to draw the characters. Jester will be next :) For anyone not familiar with critical role, here´s a link for the first episode:

2. More character sketches from critical role: Jester and Beauregard

3. This here is an example of a practice sketch where I had no idea what to draw. So staring at the blank paper, I did some anatomy practice, trying out what I remember about muscles. Next I changed the posture of the arms. I thought the guy should yell, because the sketch felt like he would :) After that, I had the feeling of it being too generic, so I changed the hair to some tentacles which caused him to become sort of a merman/human hybrid. Then I thought water would be cool, so the wave started to form and last I thought, hey, he could use some friends (that would also help with composition :) )

4. Painted version of Jester from critical role

jester web 02.jpg
    Ubem likes this.
  5. Some slightly surreal sketching this time

6. Trying to be a bit more loose in sketching. I just took a geometric form and turned it into a face. Not necessarily human...:)

7. Naidy

Naidy New Member

I am really liking those last sketches with the face shapes. Your stuff is always solid but it's nice to see some extra experiments here and there, just to see how far you can push forms whilst still making it believable.

I can see quite a few sketches with different expressions which are good, I love the laughing Jester though I can see that the expression felt more believable in the sketch form (I think it's always the way unfortunately!) Her eyes still are definitely smiling but I think somewhere with the mouth it's not quite conveying the laugh out loud joy thing.

Either way, always a joy looking through your sketchbook. Hope to see more soon. :D
  8. @Naidy: Thanks! Yes sketches tend to lose some dynamic when painted, I see that a lot, not only with my stuff, even with more seasoned painters. I guess it might help to exaggerate a sketch even more, so you don´t lose all the dynamic goodiness in pose and expression

Some more commonly face doodles:

9. Just practice today, no doodling. First is anatomy practice (3 from imagination, 1 study) with basic shading and the second one is shape design practice. It´s the same as with the faces earlier, but for characters. So basically pick a shape (triangle and a tapering rectangle in this case), draw it and create a character from it, trying to stick close to the base shape.

827.jpg 828.jpg
  10. Felt like I need to draw a harpy....