Welcome to Sketchlab

Join now to maintain, follow, like and comment on sketchbooks online
Register Now

Fish™'s Sketchbook

Discussion in 'Sketchbooks' started by FISH, Sep 7, 2017.

1. FISH

FISH New Member

Hello hello!

I've been inconsistently drawing for years and never much to any structure. Always had those little dreams as a child thinking the older kids' art class was the kind of shit rennaissance masters got into and then getting disappointed every time.

:')

Here's my permanoobs
    Permanoobs • View topic - SWIGGITY SWAGGER

And my tablet's just recently shat bricks so here's some MS Paint drawings and aimless sketchbook stuff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's some really old digitals
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think I have a pretty good idea of how a lot of things work like mood, anatomy etcetera but with zero structure whatsoever so it all ends up being mediocre at best. Also dynamics - I love images that almost move but I find my work quite stiff.

I have some ideas for study practices and I hope to give 'em a go this week (if Wacom get back to me)! See you next post!

2. indrikk

indrikk New Member

Hey FISH! Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook! :)

You have a really great narrative quality in your pieces which is great because I think that is probably one of the hardest things to learn. In the last pic, you created an intense atmosphere (love it) but I think her face is a bit small in comparison to the overall shape of her head.

The only other critique I could give you is work on line quality and confidence. Someone once told me (can't remember who now but it stuck with me) "don't use three lines where one will do". The parts of your drawings where you make smooth single line strokes are the best and if you could harness that for the overall sketch you would be on to a winner. :)
    I kinda struggle with that too tbh but I find that ghosting the line (drawing through without actually touching pen to paper) before deciding where to place it helps me loads. Hope that helps!

Looking forward to seeing more! :)

FISH likes this.
  3. Andrea

Andrea Administrator Staff Member

Hello Fish, welcome to sketchlab ! :)
    oh noes, rip tablet :confused: I keep a spare one..just in case..
    I agree with everything said above . also varying line quality adds a lot to sketches :)

4. FISH

FISH New Member

@indrikk & @Andrea hey thanks guys! and yeah - I've been told that about my work many times as "chicken scratching" :') I've taken up using pen in an attempt to work on my line work and also because i think for a long time i never used an eraser - which lead me to realise there's little point in using a pencil anymore haha. Inktober with some contours should set me up for line practice for sure :)

Haven't solved the tablet saga - contacted Wacom and it's basically 'reinstall Photoshop'. Though it might be this little game Passepartout that I installed around the time my tablet broke up with PS...

Oh well - here's some stuff from the last week-ish. Some stuff with dip pens and a brush pen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

some notes on visual construction development I came up with when I did some tutoring a fair while ago now - hoping to revisit and build a bit on it for myself - I usually find myself sticking around stage 4 which is probably where I've lost the most structure in my imagination pieces :(
    [​IMG]

5. AEBL

AEBL Active Member

What a fun and loose sketchbook! You must be looking forward to inktober!

6. FISH

FISH New Member

sketch after some retro anime browsing
    [​IMG]