Welcome to Sketchlab

Join now to maintain, follow, like and comment on sketchbooks online
Register Now

Cgmythology's Sketchbook

Discussion in 'Sketchbooks' started by cgmythology, May 19, 2018.

1. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

Hi everyone, just decided to sign up to this forum to share my sketches and current work in progress.

I started work on a new illustration, featuring the new female Thor. I just finished the sketch and am ready to begin the painting process. I want the lighting to be very dynamic and iconic in this one, so that should be a fun challenge. Feedback encouraged as always!

[​IMG]

Ubem likes this.
  2. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

Here's an update on t he image. I established the lighting and did some color and value work. Want to push contrast as much as possible with this one, so I'll work in much lighter and darker values to make it pop. Here's the current progress:

[​IMG]

3. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

Here's another update, worked on the lighting and values a bit more to bring more volume to the figure. Pretty pleased with how the lighting is coming out so far. Still has a long way to go, but any input is always appreciated:

[​IMG]

4. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

Worked on the image some more, mostly defining the foreground and background. It's coming together, should have it completed fairly soon. Feedback welcome as always!

[​IMG]

5. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

I'm calling the image finished, below is the final illustration. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback, always very much appreciated!

[​IMG]

Ubem likes this.
  6. Ubem

Ubem Member

Great work finishing the piece! The large value masses are fantastic.
    A few things I think can be improved on are the values and proportions though. Here's a quick paintover:
    painto1.jpg
    Perhaps doing lighting exercises from Scott Robertson's book how to render can help solve some of the inconsistencies.
    [​IMG]
    And I suppose the proportions will get better as you do more figure drawing. Awesome result though, looking forward to what you post next!

Whymrwho likes this.
  7. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

Ubem: Thank you for taking the time to do a paintover as well as your suggestions, you're on point with everything you stated. I'll probably update the Thor image based on your input when I get the free time, and will look into Scott Robertson's material as well. Thanks again!

I started work on a new illustration for a friend. We both thought of the same concept, depicting her as a mermaid, so that was pretty cool. I just finalized the sketch; Will begin painting it soon, but please feel free to post any feedback!

[​IMG]

Ubem likes this.
  8. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

I reworked the sketch a bit to emphasize the gesture more as well as changed the fishtail a bit for something more natural looking. I blocked in the local colors and worked a bit on the background gradients and values. Still very early, but I'm satisfied with the color theme so far.

[​IMG]

Ubem likes this.
  9. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

Current progress, has come quite a long way but there's still a lot of work to be done:
    [​IMG]

10. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

Current progress, made changes to eye level/perspective and refined the figure heavily. I think it's a strong improvement over the previous version, although it has a long way to go:

[​IMG]

Ubem and Feedington like this.
  11. Whymrwho

Whymrwho Member

Looking Good!! Cant wait for the finish. :D

I will just say as a side note be careful on going too dark in the shadows since theres a lot of reflect light and sky light in your scene, like her top of her thigh it shouldn't be as dark as you have since its getting hit by that blue sky light. Save those dark values for the occlusion shadows.

12. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

Whymrwho: Thanks! Good point regarding the light/shadows, I'll see if I can lighten up the values a bit even further by the next update!

Found the time to work on the image some more, it's getting there! Want to give it another detail pass or two before I call it done:

[​IMG]

Feedington likes this.
  13. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

Worked on the image some more, it's almost there! Will have it finalized tomorrow, but please feel free to leave any final input, would be very much appreciated!

[​IMG]

Whymrwho likes this.
  14. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

I revised the image some more and did some final detail work, I'm calling it done for now. I sent the image to my friend and she's very happy with it as well, so I consider the image a success in that regard. Below is the final image:

[​IMG]

Whymrwho likes this.
  15. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

I'm beginning work on a new illustration, exploring a sci-fi theme this time. I went for something a bit simple, but I want to play up the details during the painting process. Here's the sketch:

[​IMG]

Any feedback is always welcome as always!

16. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

I began painting the alien with magenta tones and didn't like the results, so I ended up repainting it again. The colors were very challenging in this piece, probably because I'm not used to painting Alien skin tones, so this was a welcome challenge. I worked on the image a great deal, pretty pleased with how it's turning out so far. Feedback welcome as always!

[​IMG]

17. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

Current update, it's almost there! Going to take a small break from it then finalize it, want to push the detailing a bit more before I call it done:

[​IMG]

18. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

I just had the time to finalize the image; Worked more on defining shapes, details, and textures. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, and it was a ton of fun working on an alien character, so I'll definitely explore this theme in the near future. Thanks again to everyone who helped me out with this image, very much appreciate it as always :)

[​IMG]

19. Tori

Tori New Member

Fantastic work so far! Your rendering skills are wonderful! I love this alien-pic, the colors are so on point, and again, the rendering = superb! I love it!

20. cgmythology

cgmythology New Member

Thank you! Really glad to hear you enjoy the final image, lots of fun to work on!

I started on a new illustration. I wanted to depict a strong female warrior (or a bad bitch, as the kids say), so I chose Joan of Arc as the subject. I'm going for an iconic feel with this one. I had a reference for the general pose as well: https://beta-static.photobucket.com...riginal.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Below is the current sketch; The armor took me several passes to get right, as I wanted it to look powerful but feminine at the same time, which was a bit tricky. I have a strong idea for the color palette as well, going to go for a rich golden look, with magenta tones as complementary colors to give the image more 'pop'. Will post an update soon with the first color pass, but feel free to leave any input for now, would be greatly appreciated as always:

[​IMG]